Vancouver International Auto Show
What Personal Information do we collect?
British Columbia Privacy Legislation generally defines “Personal Information” broadly as information about an identifiable individual. For the purposes of this Policy, personal information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation, or information that either alone or in combination with other information, can identify an individual. Generally speaking, personal information does not include what is considered business contact information including: your title or position, business address, business telephone number or business facsimile number, unless it could be used to identify you.
The types of personal information that VIAS may collect about you include your name, home address, telephone number, personal email address, billing and account information, information about your business, and other information incidental to providing services to you and on behalf of VIAS and/or its members, dealer members and service providers.
VIAS may receive personal information from members, dealer members and/or service providers for the purpose of providing services to them and their customers. In these cases, VIAS relies on the members, dealer members and service providers to ensure that such personal information is disclosed to VIAS in accordance with applicable privacy legislation. Such personal information is used by VIAS only for the purpose of providing the services in question, and only in compliance with the applicable privacy legislation, including the Act and Regulations.
In all cases the VIAS will only collect as much Personal Information as is necessary for the purposes for providing the applicable product or service.
We have a physical presence in British Columbia and may in the normal course of operations collect personal information through visits from the public, capture of video images on security cameras, telephone inquiries, or employment inquiries. This personal data, incidental to normal business administration, is not collected for a business purpose or shared with third parties except under exceptional circumstances as required by law or ordered by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, VIAS collects, uses and discloses personal information about our members, dealer members, service providers their customers, and others in order to provide our dealer members, members and service providers with Association services to and on behalf of dealer members. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to fulfill the goals and mandates of the Association in representing dealer members;
- to share Personal Information to and from third parties for the purposes of providing Association services to and on behalf of dealer members;
- to understand and respond to members, dealer members, service providers, suppliers, customers, and other third-party needs and preferences, including to contact and communicate with such parties to conduct surveys, research, evaluations and trade shows;
- to develop, enhance or otherwise provide VIAS products and services;
- to sell or otherwise provide products and services of third parties with whom VIAS has a relationship;
- to distribute our Signals newsletter, other newsletters, association information and other materials to members, dealer members and individuals on our mail and e-mail lists including via third parties mailing houses and e-mail service providers;
- to develop and manage VIAS’s association and operations;
- to detect and protect VIAS and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft, and other illegal activity and to audit compliance with VIAS’s policies and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions including the purchase sale, lease, merger or amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal or financing involving VIAS;
- as permitted by and to comply with any foreign and domestic legal or regulatory requirements or provisions, to the extent that such foreign legal or regulatory requirements are not inconsistent with, or prohibited by, the Act or Regulations;
- to provide information to our members, dealer members and service providers in relation to their business; and
- for any other purpose to which you consent, that is in compliance with and not otherwise prohibited by the Act or Regulations.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
From time to time, VIAS may disclose your Personal Information to:
- service providers including an organization or individual retained by VIAS to perform functions on its behalf such as marketing, surveying, data processing, document management, and office services;
- a person who in the reasonable opinion of VIAS is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
- to our insurers and to regulatory agencies, insurers or others in connection with regulatory or other obligations of VIAS in its capacity as a national trade association representing its members and dealer members;
- to our members, dealer members and service providers for the purposes of their business of marketing motor vehicles and/or other products and services;
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law; and/or
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any foreign and domestic legal or regulatory requirements or provisions, to the extent that such foreign legal or regulatory requirements are not inconsistent with, or prohibited by, the Act or Regulations.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by VIAS, located either at our offices or at the offices of our members, dealer members or service providers. Where Person Information is located at the offices of our members, dealer members or service providers, they are required to confirm to VIAS that their storage of your Personal Information is done in compliance with the Act and Regulations, or other applicable legislation.
How may you obtain access to, or correct, your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions as provided for in the Act and Regulations, VIAS will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Chief Privacy Officer, using the contact information provided on the last page of this Policy. We may charge a minimal fee to provide such personal information. There are a few instances where we may not be able to provide some of the personal information we hold, including:
- if it is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege;
- if it contains references to other individuals;
- if it cannot be disclosed for legal, security, or commercial proprietary reasons, or
- if it is prohibitively costly to provide
If you feel that any part of your Personal Information is not accurate or complete, you may give notice to the Chief Privacy Officer, in writing, at the contact information provided on the last page of this Policy, which notice must provide a description of the issue and the requested corrective measures. There is no charge for corrections to Personal Information.
How do we protect your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, VIAS employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information, whether such protection relates to Personal Information collected and stored physically or electronically. Where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing we ensure, through our contracts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
How long to we keep your Personal Information?
VIAS is committed to keeping your Personal Information only for so long as is reasonably necessary. This means that the VIAS will destroy your Personal Information, or make such information anonymous, as soon as: (a) the purpose for which your Personal Information was collected is no longer being served by keeping the personal information; or (b) it is no longer necessary to keep your Personal Information for legal or business purposes.
Privacy and our Website
Online Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, reviewing or downloading a publication, participating in a seminar or other event, and participating in contests and surveys. If you are known to VIAS as a registered user of an online service, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
E-Mail Communications – Occasionally, VIAS may send e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about VIAS and its members, dealer members and other third parties with whom we have a relationship. To comply with Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL), we will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future e-mails from VIAS.
Links – Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than VIAS, and VIAS has no responsibility for such third party websites.
Vancouver International Auto Show
Chief Privacy Office
380 – 8029 199th Street
Langley, BC, V2Y 0E2
Email: [email protected]